Farming-The next step in your environmental journey, the Environmental Policy Statement
Since every farm has some impact on natural resources your Environmental Policy Statement will outline the steps you take to minimize that impact. Your one page EPS forms an integral part of your environmental responsibility planning and should be shared with employees, neighbours and local community, customers, suppliers, business partners and other farmers in your community.
Here are a few questions to consider when working out your policy.
1) What quality of life do you aspire to have and how will your farm help you achieve it?
2) Are there environmental issues in your local community for which farming is generally viewed in a negative way.
3) Where do you feel your farm has the greatest potential for negative environmental impacts?
4) Are there environmental issues in your local community for which farms are generally viewed in a positive way.
5) What issues do you see as being especially important 5 years from now?
6) How do you see your farm positioning itself to be a positive contributer to issues identified in #5
7) Are your answers to #1 and #6 similar/compatible?
Use this “template” as a guide to set up your “one page EPS handout” Enlightened EPS
David Knowles – “One of the Ones”
Carbonleader Certification Program for Business
Carbon Action Task Force for Homeowners